Bramble Gamers

Page Views

Hit Counter

Latest topics

» A Proper "Goodbye" (And some explaining)
Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:07 pm by brandon_g

» New link doesnt work :(
Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:34 pm by brandon_g

» New Forum!
Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:35 pm by Fluncher

» This site needs a makeover.
Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:07 am by FCSNAKE

» I'm here... again.
Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 am by xLight

» Crits... Crits Everywhere
Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm by FCSNAKE

» mnk;uhjihkih aaagaggagaga
Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:15 pm by FCSNAKE

» Official New SSB4 Character Discussion
Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:03 pm by Dan1592

» Pokemon black and white 2 coming to Japan soon
Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:14 am by FCSNAKE

» Hydro's Emerald Nuzlocke Journal
Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:57 pm by brandon_g

Twitter Feed

Affiliates

Top posters

Ulqi-chan (3875)

FCSNAKE (3495)

Applejack (3141)

Kotaru (3029)

Hero (2937)

Hydrocannon2727 (1790)

Bramblefang (1725)

Okami (949)

Fluncher (908)

Whitemoon (785)

Bramble Gamers Review #3

Bramblefang
    Paratroopa
    Paratroopa

<b>Custom Title</b> Custom Title : Homogoblin's Minion
    <b>Posts</b> Posts : 1725

Bramble Gamers Review #3

Post by Bramblefang on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:18 pm

Edit 1: In progress... 40% complete.. Out for 2 hours, will complete upon return.
    Edit 2: Complete!

Bramble Gamers

Congratulations! Your forum review has been completed. The forum review will hold many tips, suggestions, comments, and feedback that are convenient and voluntary for your forum. Here is your forum review:

Rating - Average

First look on your forum's homepage produced nothing more special than I usually see on forums.. However one thing I immediately noticed is that everything is HUGE... It's like your site has been zoomed in and looks even bigger than it should. All the font is bigger than usual, and the banner looks big too. I'd maybe reccomend making some things smaller, because that way it will look like a regular website, and will make the appearance that it is welcoming aswell as not revolved around ads (which are circulating at the very top of the page.) I also like how the cursor changed to a Mario style cursor, and the custom pop up image for logging in, and I really like all the tech stuff to the forum, it's nice!

Rating - Good

Banner: A custom made banner! Hoorah! If you'd like my humble opinion on this, then I'd reccomend making the banner span across the whole gray part of the page so that the blue and gray colors do not clash together... and although I dislike how big the banner is, it'd be better that way because it would attract more attention to your forum, and would be more creative and make the theme look more customized than it already is. I'd also reccomend making some of the images less blurry than they are, and i know that some of them are meant to be that way, but too many of them makes me think that they weren't meant to be like that and that the image is of low quality.

Forum Images: What appears to be another unique set of images for your site, except for maybe the who is online image and the birthdays Icon. I like how your images are custom made to fit your theme aswell as your website, and that they are all flowing together nicely, except for one. For my eyes (maybe not others) the blue is a little too dark and hard to read, however the black outline accounts for it, as it is only initials.

Background: Although there isnt much to see of your main background, it's a nice blend of blues that work nicely together in unison with oneanother. I like the spacing of your background compared to your forum. However, I don't like the activity of colors within your header, and forum posts and sidebar, there's too much of a diversity of shades of gray and white on your forum, I'd reccomend the gray shade better, because it is more calm than white.

Layout: Before reviewing the rest of your layout I noticed that you used the word General alot. So i'd reccomend changing the category named General to maybe Community Related so it makes words less used. The other forum categories:

'General' - You may want to change important's sub text in bold to maybe a red color to attract attention. Your Site News forum uses here too much... Don't use a question, change it to a statement. In BG community, TV should be capitalized since it is an abbreviation.

'General Gaming' - General Gaming Discussions should be: General gaming discussions.

'Game Discussions' - You can make the old and new forums a category so that you can use up less space but have more forums, this way Mario, Super Smash Bros and Sonic to another forum, and then the others can fit together in other forums, so you can change your about 15 fourums to 4 with subforums.

'Other Forums' - This could be changed to Miscellanious (which i spelt wrong) and have the forums in.

Rating - Poor

In total there are 20 users online :: 3 Registered, 0 Hidden and 17 Guests :: 1 Bot
    Registered Users: Hydrocannon2727, Icera, Jeff9978
    Bots : Google
    Members connected during last 72 hours : Bramblefang, DarkCharizard, Hero, Hydrocannon2727, Icera, Jeff9978, Kagome, SilentVerse, Skittles, SparkyTehGreat, Ulqi-chan

17 Guests is okay for an online at one time, and so is 3 registered for a time of 6pm. However the members connected over the last 3 days is very poor. Only one of the members connected in the last 74 hours was a member, and the rest were staff; so basically what is happening is a discussion between staff in the forum. Also what doesnt help is that alot of the posts in your forum come from about 1000 or so threads, and the thread to forum ratio is very low. So you'll want to work on this in future.

Rating - Average

What does it take to be a contributor? Because when I visited your forum there were alot of orange people on the board, which means alot of people contributed, but in what way? Also, there were lots of Super Moderators, about 6 online in the last 3 days.. and for a forum of your activity this is way too much. A board of your size should have about 3 Super Moderators, if not less because of your activity of your members, and too many moderators means that there are too many things that could go wrong on the forum... Plus the super moderator group color is very hard to read and see at the same time, as the green is very bright in contrast compared the white backgrounds. Administrators looks like a small group which is good, because administrators have to be people you can really trust, and it looks like the ones you have, you can trust!

Rating -Excellent

A forum like yours is hard to come across, because alot of your things are original to your forum, or you coincidentally found them while looking at images.. Your forum banner is unique aswell as the elements inside your forum. Your forum images are unique too, but a little bit overused.. you might want to get some different forum images for your forum and category images.

Enjoy!

Your Score

Overall Marking:B+

The rest of the thread is found here.

Hi Guest.
    Spoiler:
    You Lost The Game

Jeff9978
    Administrator
    Administrator

<b>Posts</b> Posts : 556

Re: Bramble Gamers Review #3

Post by Jeff9978 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:32 pm

I think whoever critiqued the site is correct about the fact that everything may be a little too bold, but there only are about 3 super moderators that go on this site, not including AlphaKenny. I would also suggest changing the layout of the site to make it more "guest-friendly". This site basically screams Nintendo. Perhaps if you changed it to a more neutral setting, more users would join (such as ones that like other gaming systems). However, I know you're a fan of Nintendo, and perhaps it makes sense to express your interests to new users. Some of the site mechanics are also a little confusing to a user that has never been to this website before. I am also confused about why CON1 is even an administrator. He doesn't come on the site often, nor have I seen him even contribute to Bramble Gamers or comment on anything. He isn't necessarily a person I would put on my "Trusted User" list either.
    Bramblefang
    Paratroopa
    Paratroopa

Post by Bramblefang on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:11 pm

but there only are about 3 super moderators that go on this site, not including AlphaKenny.
    The reviewer must have somehow gotten confused there.

This site basically screams Nintendo. Perhaps if you changed it to a more neutral setting, more users would join (such as ones that like other gaming systems).
    My intention when I opened up this site was to make it a Nintendo Fan site. Once I get a little more familiar with Sony's and Microsoft's games, I might make make separate layouts and then I'll put up a skin changer so you could switch between a Nintendo Theme, Microsoft Theme, etc.

Some of the site mechanics are also a little confusing to a user that has never been to this website before.
    Have you read my incomplete FAQ yet?

I am also confused about why CON1 is even an administrator. He doesn't come on the site often, nor have I seen him even contribute to Bramble Gamers or comment on anything. He isn't necessarily a person I would put on my "Trusted User" list either.
    Conor's posts and threads were made long ago. He told us that he was studying for school and is trying to get a job a couple weeks ago.

In other words, he is busy with life.

Hi Guest.
    Spoiler:
    You Lost The Game

Jeff9978
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Jeff9978 on Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:16 pm

Well then ^_^

And I read through some of the FAQs, but not all. Eheeem, my bad ^_^
    Applejack
    Rainbow Dash
    Rainbow Dash

<b>Custom Title</b> Custom Title : ~Heal what has been hurt, change the Fate's design~
    <b>Posts</b> Posts : 3141

Post by Applejack on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:52 pm

But the reviewer is correct on it mostly being staff on here. Skittles is the only non staff member that comes frequently.

Might I suggest taking a few members off of the staff (sinces theres like, over 10 people in the staff) until we have more active members? I volenteer to retire my position as moderator until we have more active members.

It was the first new day of the century
    In one hundred years
    When I felt like I should cry
    I laughed away my tears

ʇı ɥʇıʍ dɹǝp

All in all, I'd rather have detention
    All in all, I'd rather eat a toad
    The old man drives like such a klutz
    That I'm about to hurl my guts
    Directly upon the open road
    Jeff9978
    Administrator
    Administrator

Post by Jeff9978 on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:06 pm

What?
    Michelle, if someone is going to be de-modded, it should be FCSNAKE. (He never even comes on)

There's no need to de-moderate a moderator that is doing her job.

And I think he/she was alluding to their being a lot of contributors, not moderators. There only are a few moderators anyway.

And plus, more people are going to join the site, so why get rid of the staff while you already have it?
    Bramblefang
    Paratroopa
    Paratroopa

Post by Bramblefang on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks for reviewing my site Very Happy Before I point out some things in your review, I must say that I haven't noticed quite a few of the things about my site that you stated in your review. Nice job.

I immediately noticed is that everything is HUGE...

The site was created for a screen resolution of 1280 x 800 which is the normal screen size for a laptop. The site only looks huge if you're on a home computer. If I made everything smaller, people who get on their laptops would say that everything is tiny.

I'd also reccomend making some of the images less blurry than they are

I've noticed this when I was creating the banner Sad It's hard to get 8 bit and 16 bit sprites to be so big and clear in quality at the same time.

For my eyes (maybe not others) the blue is a little too dark and hard to read

It might be your monitor or something else. It's perfectly legible to me.

Layout: Before reviewing the rest of your layout I noticed that you used the word General alot. So i'd reccomend changing the category named General to maybe Community Related so it makes words less used. The other forum categories:

'General' - You may want to change important's sub text in bold to maybe a red color to attract attention. Your Site News forum uses here too much... Don't use a question, change it to a statement. In BG community, TV should be capitalized since it is an abbreviation.

'General Gaming' - General Gaming Discussions should be: General gaming discussions.

'Game Discussions' - You can make the old and new forums a category so that you can use up less space but have more forums, this way Mario, Super Smash Bros and Sonic to another forum, and then the others can fit together in other forums, so you can change your about 15 fourums to 4 with subforums.

'Other Forums' - This could be changed to Miscellanious (which i spelt wrong) and have the forums in.

I liked your suggestions from this part, but I'm slightly confused by what you put under "Game Discussions." What do you mean by old and new forums?

17 Guests is okay for an online at one time, and so is 3 registered for a time of 6pm. However the members connected over the last 3 days is very poor. Only one of the members connected in the last 74 hours was a member, and the rest were staff; so basically what is happening is a discussion between staff in the forum. Also what doesnt help is that alot of the posts in your forum come from about 1000 or so threads, and the thread to forum ratio is very low. So you'll want to work on this in future.

There was around 40+ guests some time after you left for a couple hours. I've been trying to get the activity going for a bit, but I'm guessing many people are busy with school. (A majority of the users are in Elementary or High School)

What does it take to be a contributor? Because when I visited your forum there were alot of orange people on the board, which means alot of people contributed, but in what way?

Contributors are made up of users who advertise and post special articles on the site. This was one of my ideas to get the activity going, but it hasn't been working out.

Also, there were lots of Super Moderators, about 6 online in the last 3 days.. and for a forum of your activity this is way too much. A board of your size should have about 3 Super Moderators, if not less because of your activity of your members, and too many moderators means that there are too many things that could go wrong on the forum...

This is actually broken up into two groups, Plain Old Moderators and Super Moderators. The basic moderators only moderate a certain section of the site while super moderators moderate all sections of the site. Each group has a total of three members. I still agree with you that there are too many staff members.

^^^ My reply just in case you had to contradict something.

I fixed pretty much everything the guy said in his review, besides the activity and the staff of course.

I don't plan to shorten our staff list, but I will say that I don't plan to add any more people to it.

Hi Guest.
    Spoiler:
    You Lost The Game

Whitemoon
    Blue Paratroopa
    Blue Paratroopa

<b>Posts</b> Posts : 785

Post by Whitemoon on Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:48 pm

Kagome wrote:But the reviewer is correct on it mostly being staff on here. Skittles is the only non staff member that comes frequently.

Might I suggest taking a few members off of the staff (sinces theres like, over 10 people in the staff) until we have more active members? I volenteer to retire my position as moderator until we have more active members.

Thanks! Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:39 pm